For execution during April 2004:
- Juggling G3s
- SCSI card and drive move from Gridlock to Cambria.
- Cambria loses USB/Firewire card for second SCSI card or IDE
card. USB/Firewire card causes conflicts in OS 9, unstable. No problems
in OS X. Box will be dual booting.
- Boot Cambria from 10.2 install on 4g UWSCSI from Gridlock; copy OS 9
install to 4g drive, format 80g IDE. Machine is repurposed as general
use legacy box: VDR in 10.2 and quicktake / RCAS i/o in 9.
- Gridlock gets 4g Cheetah from Cambria. RAM transplant: 128 into Wire.
Machine is left with empty PCI slots or fast SCSI, 4g drive. OS 9 install
and applications, pass off to the waiting list.
- Wire gets the leftovers. Specifically, +128 ram.
- Juggling Linux
- ~, mysql database, and apache config on massive backed up and transferred
- massive goes offline.
- 7300 is rebuilt using parts from 8500. Namely ram, possibly hard drives.
- SCSI controller and drives from massive transplanted to 7300.
- Fresh install of debian.
- move massive backup from maniac to 7300, reimpliment.
- 7300 will take massive's old IP due to moveable type configuration quirks.
- massive will be rebuilt using leftovers from G3 juggle. Options at this
point are either OS X OMFGWTF box or linux. Or the machine will simply
- 7300 build
- 256 (8x32) ram from 8500. Ram from 7300 is stored for future use.
- PCI 10/100 ethernet board from Gridlock.
- PCI 2930 SCSI from Gridlock
- third slot empty
- internal drives : one of the 2g will probably stay for use as an OS
9 bootloader. Secondary will be replaced by 8g from massive. Or 4g. The
development that massive is being used for is presently in the ~200 meg
range and is not expected to exceed ~300.
- Disposal or location juggling.
- Powerbook 520 is dead. Needs to be discarded.
- Duo 230 still works and functions for the time being as a scanner stand.
VIAO desktop case is junk and needs to be thrown out.
- Inwin case needs to be gutted. Find the bad SCSI drives and discard.
- 7100 is junk. Wipe hard drive, pull boards, toss.
- MacTV needs to be put into storage.
- Sparc has never been used; do not have the necessary equipment. Presently
a monitor stand. Storage or reimpliment in new furniture arrangement.
- Indigo2 will be placed on top of wire and cambria as a monitor stand.,
or under the 7300 for the same purpose.
- 8500 requires disposal. Blown arbitrator chip makes serial and PCI busses
unuseable. RCAS and mobo video works. Network and ADB work. Internal disk
is being odd: may toss to someone on the waiting list as a replacement/upgrade.
- A/UX box is fine where it is (end table)
- Inwin works as alarm clock stand; should be filled with working SCSI
equipment and offlined for future use.
- Massive needs to be relocated from its current position. Options are
storage or the present location of the Quadra 650.
- Role of the Q650 will be assumed by the rebuilt Cambria; obsoleting
the Q650, which can then be placed in storage. Machine still has functioning
- Overall goals:
- Removal of Gridlock (passed off to current person on the waiting list)
- Removal of 8500 (passed off to next person on the waiting list or decomissioned-
may cycle out to Roy for return of 9500, which I have no use for at this
- Removal of 7100.
- MacTV into storage.
- Transfer of massive from 9600 to 7300, 9600 offlined as furniture for
the time being
- Projected machine roles:
- Maniac will continue as workstation.
- 7300 will become web development system.
- iMac will be emergency-use-only and/or fileserver (currently fileserver)
- Cambria will become backup dump location and general widget box
for things I can't do with modern equipment or linux.
- wire will be run through a base debian install and offlined until
its planned role as router/web face is financially feasable.
- Pismo continues in a reduced role with use being reduced by planned
purchase of medium-capacity USB pen drive.
- Prepare space for acquisition of storage equipment (planned for May
2004 at present)
- Reduce clutter and overall volume of technology in the living area.