Okay, I'm still sorting it out. But this is the new mercury. Welcome.
mercury (yes, it's lower case) was originally a developmental weblog- bda set me up the bomb so I could get my hands dirty with moveable type. Oh, the joy. The joy and the pain, as I would up doing a lot of the initial configuration over a modem- and if you're familiar with MT at all, a lot of that configuration consisted of gutting the stock templates, slowly figuring out the little bits that I actually wanted to use, and tossing the rest. Not to say that MT isn't damned fine blogware, because it is- but I don't need most of its features. To put it mildly.
The experience with mercury matured with ATC when I got that moving- bda and I decided it would be better to adapt MT to the needs of a webcomic than it would be to write a brand new backend for one specific purpose. I learned a lot from ATC, and applied the lessons by rebuilding the webcomic site after the first chapter was finished... then I took some of what I learned there, installed MT on the secret about box, and spent some time having fun with that.
In the meantime, mercury was underutilized and I was still running my so-called "personal site" through Dreamweaver. Consequently, the site hadn't been updated in, like, forever. Rather than hassle with running SAB and my own site from one MT install on a smallish server, I opted to gut mercury, integrate revision, and start clean. And by clean, I mean throwing out a lot of the cruft and generally asstastic old things that were dragging revision down. Simplify the interface and the approach even further- hang onto the old blog as a study example, keep the existing projects going, and generally throw everything else out the window. It belongs in the past, and fails to reflect well on the present- unless you're one of those froods who's actually interested in looking at rapid progress within a given period of time.
Around here, that eats up bandwidth. And the pipe, it doesn't grow on trees. If it did, I'd put drone up for download. :) But it doesn't- which is a great impetus to cut - and cut- and cut the dead wood from revision as I slowly migrate the site. Migration isn't going to happen overnight, like it did with SAB- I still need to think through what I'm definitely tossing out. I still need to set up some templates and streamline the presentation. There's a hell of a lot of little things that need to be done before I change my .sig to reflect this fact.
And hey, it's a three day weekend. No time like the present.